Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrat 2 View Post
Front rotor for one non CCB is 565 at ecs and 3600 for the ccb equivalent. Do the math. If you plan on tracking the car you're better off financially without the ccb since it's unlikely that the ccb rotor will last longer than 7 non ccb rotors. If you are street only you are also better off financially without since it's unlikely that you'll have to replace your rotors enough times to offset the $8150 cost of the option. Bottom line is that they are great technology but at current price points hard to justify other than that they bring lower unsprung weight.

As an aside, my buddy with a Porsche and factory ccb replaced them with non ccb as he tracks his car a lot and couldn't rationalize the cost.
Well...

I ran the CCB's on the track for one season. I went through two sets of front pads, one set of rears and a full set of rotors. My yearly expense was over $12K all said and done... My track has three locations each lap where its necessary to brake down from over 100-130 mph to 30-40 mph for some pretty demanding corners. So its pretty hard on brakes.

HOWEVER!

This year I tried the RacingBrake CCB replacement kit which swaps out the CCB rotor with an iron rotor and includes "Track" pads. This kit is "advertised" to allow swapping out the CCB Rotors and Pads while maintaining the original calipers.

Complete and Total Failure! I burned through the front set of "TRACK" pads in less than a day and a half at the track (about 180 miles). The pads actually went metal-on-metal with the rotors and the car departed the track. I sent all the stuff back to RB and had to go to Amex to get a full refund on the kit. Maybe their rotors were OK but their pads were crap. Brake pads should last more than a day at the track.

I went back to the CCB's... They won't be any more expensive than changing out the RB pads every single track day all season long... (Or as much as a PITA...) CCB's are expensive but at least they are reliable!

The M3/M4 is a pretty heavy car and front brake cooling is a real challenge. INd is going to work with Fall Line this winter to see if they can design a proper brake cooling kit for the car (one which does NOT use CF for brake shields). The other challenge is getting enough air to the front brakes and I'm told (by a German BMW Engineer) that you can't really move enough air through the coolers in the front fender wells - you need dedicated scoops. I've asked if they could make some easily detachable, very thin scoops for mounting under the front lip which could be removed when NOT at the track (for clearance).

I'm also planning to mount an AP brake kit this winter to see how well it performs/lasts.

However, the CCB brakes have been the best solution I've found so far!
After spending two sets of rotors in two seasons, I went with AP Racing bbk sets. I installed them pre-summer and so far I?m super satisfied with them and there is almost no wear on rotors so far as well as the pads, I strongly recommend them.
Appreciate 0