Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
No, I’m not enthused about their direction.

I grew up idolizing the same models as you. E36 then E46 and E39.

Those cars were imperfect, but this was BMW’s golden age IMO, which evolved and concluded with the E9X.

The current M2 is a poor substitute for an E46. Sorry, just no.

The F90 is amazing in many ways. Can’t hold a candle to the character, appeal, fricking magic of the E39.

You always adjust to speed, acceleration. The body and mind become acclimated. That’s the fundamental error of BMW’s full buy into the horsepower war. I’m numb to it. Honestly, I don’t care if the next M5 has 850 hp. Soon enough everything will accelerate to 60 in <3 seconds.

I think that M division should have checked out of the horsepower war long ago. Balanced emissions requirements with EV’s and hybrids across their base model range, and focused on building naturally-aspirated, special cars. That WAS M division. That’s their core identity – I remember, I was there, they’re not fooling me… It would have been possible. Porsche GT division is managing.

How much would I give for a slightly modernized (DCT) version of an E46 M3 CSL? E39 M5 (no adjustments necessary)? An S65 with ~500 hp that revs to 9k in combination with cylinder deactivation and F8X level chassis?

But they’re obviously headed toward all-wheel drive turbos and hybridization. Cars that are bigger every gen (WHY?). And a design concept/look that to me says, “we’ve run out of ideas…” They’re not going to pull a rabbit out of a hat. The new M5 is a preview, just as the E60 was a preview for the E9X. Predict the upcoming M3/M4 will be massively capable, obnoxiously styled (apparently), and that’s about it.

Very possible that my BMW stable remains unchanged (E90 and GTS), and I move on. Keep an eye out for clean, low mileage E46’s and E39’s. I check out EnthusiastAuto hazardously often.

My heart and mind are drawn toward older gen M cars and Porsche GT cars nowadays. And I appreciate what the Americans are doing. I’ve almost tuned out of BMW’s developments. I’d like to be convinced otherwise, but the formula is the formula. They'll never get close to the M cars I idolized and enjoyed with the current formula.
100% agreed to all of this.

Most of my interaction with BMW's modern lineup at this point is... laughing at it.

E.g.

20 years ago, that would be been my go to car. An actually small BMW sedan (something they haven't made for years)? Fuck yes! Can't wait for the high revving, linear, responsive NA engine, rwd, manual trans, and amazing steering feel, in a compact but practical package, with no gimmicks to distract from the driving experience!

Instead... it's none of that. Everything, EVERY SINGLE THING, I used to choose BMW for has been removed from the brand.

Someone needs to get off the performance numbers train and go back to focusing on driving experience. The numbers are all fast enough that it hasn't actually made for a better driving experience for many years.

Until then, I'll maintain and drive my older BMWs till it's illegal to drive your own car (so some company comes to their senses).

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 3
FormulaMMM3662.50
minn1914063.00
IamFODI365.50