CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX78703 View Post
i agree with you about power, but there are different ways to get there....revs being the other obvious one besides torque. the engineer may decide that tapering off the torque quickly (especially in a boosted engine) is worth it from a durability point of view and that can be compensated with increased Revs. My point is that an engine that runs 70% torque at red-line is not inferior to an engine that runs 80% just b/c the % is lower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX78703 View Post
The amount of torque you make after 5252 rpm is irrelevant. there's nothing gained by making a higher percentage of peak torque at redline.
True. It is a combination of the RPM at redline and the % of peak torque produced at redline. There is still something to be gained by producing more torque at redline. It can be offset by increasing the revs of the redline, but saying that nothing is to be gained is untrue.

I still question your statement where torque produced past 5252RPM is irrelevant .

5252 is simply a constant for the power/torque/RPM relationship in the imperial system. This number is meaningless in the actual physics of the engine.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 05-22-2013 at 02:54 PM..
Appreciate 0