View Single Post
      02-15-2018, 05:28 PM   #45
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2018 M550i, 2022 M4

I sold my 2016 M4 and purchased a 2017 Shelby GT350. Was in the same boat as you about 6 months ago. I never test drove one, and from reading all the great reviews, did not really even need to.....buuut, 6 months later, I have a 2018 m4 on order and trading my GT350 for it. The first 2 months, the car was amazing!!! The sound, is freaking ridiculous! The manual transmission is awesome. Now everything else, isn't all that great, but the two things I just mentioned, made me overlook all that. After driving it two months and getting used to it, you really start to notice all the bad (compared to the M4).

The build quality is really bad. When I stumbled upon a thread on the Mustang forum that explains how to get rid of bumper gaps, I was just shocked that was the norm.

Also the car tramlines, like a mofo. Especially in New York, it is very apparent and does not make it all that great to drive the car, because the car just doesn't drive straight, instead just keeps jumping from left to right. If the roads are straight where you live (which I think in most places the roads are a lot better than New York, than this is not really an issue).

My friend recently got a 2018 m3 (manual), which I get to drive from time to time. The build quality of the car is just amazing compared to the Shelby. The clutch pedal feel is a lot better on the M3 (to me at least). The car actually has a new car smell (The Shelby did not have that from day one, probably due to the lack of any leather).

I think the GT350 is a great car to purchase and drive on the track. The M4/M3 are just great overall cars that you can daily and also track if needed. If you search on youtube, you will find the only negative review for the Shelby GT350, that was left by me. People were not too happy with the review, because I dislike the tramline on the car a lot. Everyone keeps telling me that tramline is normal, because of the wide tires, but its hard to say the car handles great, when I have to keep fighting the steering wheel to keep it going straight (due to the messed up New York roads).

My f10 m5 has 275 front tires, and does not tramline at all, so not sure if the wheels are the only culprit here...maybe the difference between 275 and 295 is that significant, but kind hard to believe that its only the tires.