Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteis350 View Post
Good info so far.

I would definitely add that you can mail order your swiss and austrian vignettes online ahead of time. Definitely worth while and takes away some of the stress (finding a gas station or stopping when you are short on time)

I'm sure this is a minor detail, but I'm pretty sure you don't need a vignette if you aren't planning to use the highways. When I looked it up, it was only required for highway use. My Austrian vignette was a waste of $$ on my ED.

The only reason why I mention this is that Munich -> Grossglockner does not require you to use Austrian highways. In fact, I never set rubber upon an Austrian highway my entire ED.
For example, we bought an Austrian vignette
That is correct. BUT... often times you will find yourself headed onto an Austrian Autobahn with no way of turning back. Then you are finished! Because often times the Austrian Polizei wait on the on ramps or exit ramps to check your vignette. They also have over head cameras behind the Autobahn signs that car FLASH(Blitz) you when you do not have a vignette.

Do you know the fine for not having a 8 euro(10 day pass) Austrian Vignette ? It is a 120 euros fine, CASH on the spot! No exceptions.

Also... IF you do not fully affix the vignette to the windshield(as to remove it latter, so as not to leave any marks)... the Austrian Polizei say that is "deceiving" bc some people buy ONE vignette and move it from car to car. IF the Polizei stop you and they see your vignette not fully affixed to the inner windshield... then my friend you will have to cough up 500 euros, cash on the spot! Don;t have any cash? The Austrian Polizei will gladly take your cell phone or camera or laptop as payment. Yes - they do do that!

There are so many gas stations South of Munich that sell the vignette. Same goes for the Swiss vignette(40 euros for one year).

Btw... Germany has been talking about a PKW(car) Vignette. It looks like in two years - all visitors will have to have an vignette. Unlike Austria, Germany will make EVERYONE(including Germans) pay this vignette fee/tax. Then, the German's will get the tax back when they pay for the car's registration the next year. So far this is just all "talk". But I think within two years we will have this "(tax)reality".

Dackel

Austrian Vignette signs...
Name:  Vignette verkauf 0,,17201446_404,00.jpg
Views: 2039
Size:  16.7 KB

Name:  Vignette Symbolbild338.jpg
Views: 3178
Size:  9.5 KB

The far right sign reads: Last possible place to purchase an Austrian Vignette(!)
Name:  Vignette sales  IMG_2467.jpg
Views: 2403
Size:  79.9 KB

Name:  vignettes next exit stop P1230660.jpg
Views: 2294
Size:  144.5 KB

Maut = Toll (road)
Name:  maut_schild_rostock_pa_1180.jpg.8374676 (1).jpg
Views: 2030
Size:  386.5 KB
Appreciate 0