09-06-2019, 07:14 PM   #45
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I've absolutely loved my 2016 M3 and my current 2018 M3 CS. Now I'm looking into something smaller, lighter, and sportier. I originally got the F80 because I needed a 4 door for the family, but now that it's been promoted to weekend/track car, I feel like I don't need the 4 doors anymore. I'm looking for a coupe to have fun with in the canyons and on the track and auto-crossing. I'm open to out of the box suggestions! Some thoughts:
  • Doesn't have to be 400hp+, just has to be fun
  • Coupe
  • Nimble
  • Preferably used so I can make it a project car
  • No supercars, I'm not rich! Under $60k used preferred.
  • As much as I wanted a STI in the past, I prefer something a little more refined and "my age".

It's no secret that my current top choice is a 981 Cayman S or GTS. I've been lusting for one for months here on the forums. It checks all the boxes, but I'm open to suggestions and personal experiences!
I've been test driving caymans and 911's recently.

991's (.1 and .2) are smaller, lighter, and sportier than the F80, and better in most ways, but they still felt "familiar" to me, as in the next logical progression through the BMW line up. Take an M3 and make everything 25% better, and you have a Carrera S. Whereas the M3's ride and handling is compromised by being a large-ish sedan, the 911's ride and handling is compromised by the heavy rear weight bias and less than ideal polar moment. Both cars make up for it in spades, but . . .

The Cayman has no such compromise. It's mid engine balance is a revelation compared to the M3 and offers a much different driving experience compared to either car. While the 911 is responsive and linear and well balanced, the cayman is all those things, but also light, effortless and telepathic.

The M3 is a sports sedan, The Cayman is a true sports car. The 911 is like if they had a baby and it got the good genes from both parents.

The rumored return of the flat 6 to the non-GT4 cayman is what I'm waiting for. That car should be a blast to drive.

Incidentally, I drove a 987 cayman last year and even though it was a bit old and felt it's age, it still had that same fantastic balance that the 718S I drove last week had. For $60k, you'll be able to get a very nice 981 S, which will check all your boxes perfectly.

Forget about cars like the STi. I've driven an STi, EVO 10, and Golf R recently. Coming from an M3, they felt like a serious downgrade. The R didn't feel anything like a sporty car. The STi felt like a child's idea of a sports car was. The EVO was actually surprisingly good to drive, but was basically like a cost cut F80, and offers no real benefit. I doubt that even an M2 will scratch the itch you have for something different. Corvettes aren't light, and they aren't nimble. Awesome cars, but they don't really tick your boxes. Drive a Cayman.