View Single Post
      01-08-2018, 04:31 PM   #45
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

I'd go ST or AP/Essex/PFC over Sparta/Brembo. Sparta/Brembo use the same pad but you're limited to a pad no thicker than 18.5mm, but most are 16.5mm.

ST standard is 18mm and you can fit up to 20mm on the F8X and still have room for 1mm ti shims. Downside to ST kits are they are still street biased (even the trophy). You can and at COTA will burn up the dust boots even with shims.

The AP/Essex/PFC kits are more track biased. up to 25mm pad thickness and the pad shape is old and ubiquitous so it's a good value given how much thicker they are. AP/Esses don't have dust boots so no dust boots to burn up.

Not seen a PFC caliper on a F8X in person but on the E92 the Calipers are massive. Probably to accommodate the large pads.

A BBK cost wise no matter which you choose will have a lower operational cost than OEM. The ST friction rings are about the same if not lower priced than the OEM's. Solid discs will last a long time. If 8-10 track days total is all you're planning you'll likely not even need to replace them. Track pads for any of the race calipers will be less than or equal to what you'll spend for the baby 16.5mm OEM sized track pads. You won't have to worry about your calipers turning green. Though you can still discolor ST's painted calipers.

If I were buying new now I'd get AP/Essex.

Brake cooling highly recommended and solid/slotted only rotors a must.
Appreciate 0