02-12-2015, 05:51 AM   #44
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merli View Post
Considering that 95% of potential consumers of plug-in piggyback modules will NEVER deviate from standard maps, i respectfully disagree.

From the information readily available on this site, it is evident that the JB4 is the most capable and scalable of piggybacks currently available. That's great.

It's also evident that you're a retailer/site sponsor, who's flagship product on your website is indeed the JB4.

If your point is that the JB4 can run custom maps, and can support up to 36psi boost, and because of that we shouldn't compile peak boost data as a comparison point, I'm afraid that your JB4-biased presence in this thread is limiting it's effectiveness, in delivering relevant comparable data to the consumers.
I don't think you understood my point. The JB4, due to EWG control, fuel control, and CANbus, has the control in place to run any plausible boost profile. Other tuning systems, although more limited in what they control, are also widely adjustable. Discussion of peak boost and peak HP isn't a necessarily a function of the tuning system but more a function of which settings & maps are being run on each.

To use a more specific example, one could run the JB4 on map 3, which will produce less peak boost and HP than the BMS Stage1 tuner does. On the other hand, the JB4 with its extra control is capable of safely tuning up to the TMAP sensor limit while the Stage1 with its MAP sensor only inputs should only be run up to +4psi over stock. Although, one could crank it up to 8psi over stock for a dyno run, and maybe produce a big number, with increased risk. This talk of peak boost and peak HP only becomes relevant when discussing flash maps or tunes that are not adjustable, IMHO.

Mike
Appreciate 0