View Single Post
      11-10-2019, 02:26 PM   #2424
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Just an update since my first impressions:

Took the car out on a more spirited drive today, and drove along the roads with a little more elevation change under full throttle. And here is where MP HAS limitations are exposed.

I knew this going in, and this has already been discussed at length, but it's true that the stock shocks are the problem here. MP HAS is so much better than my previous MS springs - you definitely get what you pay for here. But you also only get what you pay for by sticking with stock shocks. Echoing many before me, the stock shocks are a tad underdamped. Sure, it's comfortable, but I had to lift off and pucker up on my reference dip where my B16 just ran over it. But even in less extreme cases, traction control just kicks in a lot more often than on the B16 kit, whether the road is flat or mildly bumpy/uneven. In the end, I'd sum it up like this.

- If all you want is to be lower, get MP HAS. You're going to get an essentially stock experience and love it. Don't waste your time on Macht Schnell springs. Can't comment on any other set, but I believe the rears were too low just riding the bump stops, and even with the extra spacers, very crashy.

- If you want a genuine performance improvement you can notice all the time, for the money you can't go wrong with B16 Damptronic if you have EDC and want to keep it. Yes, it's stiffer than MP HAS (Comfort is roughly between Sport and Sport+), but you're getting so much more stability and grip in return.

Now, addressing the elephant in the room: Why would I "downgrade" from B16 Damptronic to MP HAS? Well, I'm not single anymore, and I have more people to drive around than I used to. My wife has been driving a Lexus for the past 15 years, and has a very different idea than I do for what is considered comfortable. I enjoy driving my M3, and I don't want to avoid driving it because she doesn't want to ride in it. In addition, I am kind of setting up my car to be sold easier if/when the time comes. I don't want to limit my potential buyers to only enthusiasts who would appreciate the B16 kit - it's no secret that stock cars sell better since the market is bigger. MP HAS is close enough that I could win over a more casual buyer.

Sorry if it's long, but I hope this helps EDC owners looking for an upgrade to pick the right kit for their goals. My B16 kit is for sale on the classifieds for anyone interested.
Appreciate 5
9M711233.50
Driver407220.00