View Single Post
      04-15-2014, 11:52 AM   #84
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
USAA and many other insurance carriers do indeed word the exclusions in their policy to make it clear that driving on a race track for any reason is not covered. USAA's goes so far as to say something like, "for any reason, including to improve your skill as a driver." Wouldn't want people doing THAT! On USAA in particular, I've read multiple threads about people who called them to ask about HPDE coverage either as part of their regular policy or as part of some supplemental coverage they could purchase. USAA not only told them that HPDEs were not covered, but then chose not to renew their policies just because they asked about it.

It USED to be that the most carriers' policies said that you were only excluded from coverage on the track if you were "practicing for or participating in any timed or competitive event" -- which means HPDEs would be covered. Open track days with no instructors or classes probably wouldn't be covered though, even if you weren't timing anything, since that could more easily be construed as practice for a competitive event. My policy with Amica Mutual (in Texas in case there are variations from state to state) says that I'm not covered on a race track if I'm "practicing for or participating in any racing or speed contest", which again doesn't describe HPDEs. But Amica seems to be one of the few left that still uses that type of language rather than a blanket exclusion on track driving.
I agree that it sucks, but honestly, do you blame them?

Ive been on track a number of times and it is absolutely more dangerous / more accident prone than regular driving. Zero doubt about it. Expecting a regular insurance policy to cover this type of extreme driving is unrealistic and unfair IMO. I don't blame the insurance companies at all.

Tracking is much more risky. Especially a place like TWS, which you also know, that has extremely dangerous and bad runoff areas where if you go off, bad things will happen.