12-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #97
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012 View Post
Op, and others in this tread made several assumptions. Here are some of them, as well as my personal opinion on them

1. The S65 is a "weak" engine- This engine in my opinion shines at the track. Other than that, I'm not sure what folks are getting at by comparing it to the N54, or the yet to be released S55. Neither of these can hang with an S65 for hours on a track without extensive use of methanol for cooling IMHO.

2. The S55 is "stronger" than the N54- I actually think the opposite is true, based on the terminology that BMW used to describe the two engines. The N54 internals are re-enforced, according to BMW, whereas BMW notes that the main difference between the N55, and S55 is that the crank, and pistons are re-enforced to specifically withstand the higher rpm output of the S55. Nothing else was techincally re-enforced other than these two specific parts.

3. The S55 will make more or as much power as a highly modified N54 (+700whp)- What folks are forgetting is that BMW learned a lot from the N54 crowd, especially state side. All service protocols have been updated to speciically check for modifications and flag the vehicle for warranty if any modifications are found. Also BMW will have a ton of tuner detecting shadow codes. Unlike before, when they now scan your vehicle, the ecu spits out all codes ever thrown, so deleted codes will come back.
Aside from this, no one has yet developed a flash tune for the F series in general, as BMW made this extra hard to do. Piggybacks should of course work on the S55, but as for a proper flash tune it may never come. Finally, the oem turbos on this car will prove quite difficult to make an upgrade kit for, based on the electronic design.
Have you any confirmation that the S55 has to have an extensive use of methanol to keep up with the S65 on track? Or is just your assumption...

Have you forgot that the S55 has a brand new block with a closed deck design and no cylinder liners? Should be significantly stronger than the N54/55 Block!
Appreciate 0