View Single Post
      09-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #76
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-FN-MAN View Post
Well if this car is going to be lighter than the current M3, that somewhat worries me. Not because I like a heavy car but because where are they taking that weight out. Obviously I'm purely speculating here but normally inline 6 engines are not the lightest around because of the long crank that is used. That alone is gonna make it harder to be "lighter" than the current V8. So for arguments sake, let's say the motors weigh in at the same amount. What would then make me nervous is that they are taking weight out from other spots which give the car that "solid", secure feel. I'm not talking about how the car could feel when driving (which I'm sure will be great), I'm talking about just the overall solidness when say you close a door, hood, trunk, go over a speed bump, the little things like that. And if the car is going to be lighter, and the motors do weigh the same, then that means the front end of this car is gonna carry more weight possibly making the car feel nose heavy and not that sweet 50/50 distribution that we all love. Now if the motor IS lighter somehow then I just wasted all my time texting this and that's why the M engineers are some of the best in the world hahaha
I think your right about the engine weight. We already know that BMW is delving deeper into composites and alloys and that they will have a larger role in the new M3s production. I also feel that with BMWs advances in composites and alloys, they will not have issues preserving the solid feel of their cars.

Jason