View Single Post
      01-16-2014, 07:48 AM   #504
BMW M3 CRT
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
I think that what the 1M did was to define the real meaning of what a "tuned series engine" really is from the point of view of corporate cost reduction. Other than the overboost feature the sucker was exactly like the series engine. Exactly. In other words, the end of what ///M used to do.

Every other ///M engine went thru much more significant and invasive variations of series engines, not just "tuned". Like displacement changes, block changes, individual throttles, even cylinder count.

With that said, now more than ever an M5/M6 is a tuned 550i/650i, the X5M/X6M is a tuned X5/X6 and finally a M3/M4 is a tuned 335i/435i.

Try to even fathom saying that of a past M3 and M5 and you will know what I am talking about.

Like I said before, I will get an F80 M3. Without doubt this will perform better than any M3 before. But that does not mean that I do not know that I am getting less than what I used to get in an ///M. The value, that intangible thing that will kill car models sooner of later, is just not there anymore. You can see value in the new Corvette, in the new Mustang, even in the upcoming C63.

In this one, not as much as before.
+10 . really true words ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
IRL the engine is 50% more thrilling than on paper and 100% more thrilling in everyday use than the 'exotic' V8 in the E9xM3. The whole package being in 9/10 ways a better and sportier performer than the E9x M3 ever was.

A classic and true successor to the legendary E30 M3 and E46 M3 CSL. I hope the F8x M3 will do the same...

And talking about true VALUE LOL. The 1M has it.

[/rant]

Cheers
Robin
Really(?) ... I think the 1M was such an thrilling car only because it puts the dynamic parts of the E9xM3 into an smaller and lighter car body ... an they donīt bring the S65 into the 1M because in this case it would eat the E9xM3 every time ... so the N54 engine was simply enough for the 1M theme ... so for me the 1M was an really nice sportscar, but despite of its engine and not because of its engine ... 335i dreamboys wouldnīt agree, but simply because they donīt accept (or know?) how the HDZ concept works !!!

Last edited by BMW M3 CRT; 01-16-2014 at 08:02 AM..
Appreciate 0