Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason60051 View Post
When ever you change something like that you run the risk of changing the characteristics of the driving dynamics. I've been on the fence about spacers...I'm not worried so much about the ride quality changing more so the damage it will cause the paint.

Question for those of you that may know the answer...why didn't bmw engineer the car to have the wheels closer to the edge of the fenders? Was it to protect the paint...or are the wheels location specifically designed not to be pushed out another 10-12 mm? I've always thought of spacers as purely cosmetic and have actually been told by some it can void the warranty.
If I can recall, there's some law about how much the tire can stick out past the the fender (which is basically none). All those lifted trucks that have narly poke are against the law. Learned about this on the Lexus GS-F and RC-F platform where they have this extra piece on the rear quarter panel arch to extend the rear quarter panel to exceed the the wheel/tire. In short, the wheel/tire needs to be under the fender.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/20...g?v=1497772651

Fun fact, there's also a law that prevents the exhausts from sticking out too far to prevent risk of burning your leg if you accidentally graze the rear bumper. Rear bumper should cover the exhaust and should not stick past the exhaust. Learned this on the FRS/BRZ/86 Platform regarding why the JDM exhaust tips are longer than the USDM one.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0