View Single Post
      02-12-2014, 08:32 AM   #55
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnitBobby View Post
So is this active damping shindig more useful for general day to day driving? Like for comfort and stuff? Because it seems like it wouldn't make that much of a difference on a track surface, one that is usually smooth.
im assuming you have never been to TWS or MSR-H then? because those tracks are anything but smooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by varsity View Post
I disagree with this blanket statement. For anything more spirited than around-town driving, I'd much rather have a highly-developed passive damping system as opposed to any of the semi-active damping systems I've experienced. I'm thinking specifically of Porsche. I find that PASM makes it much more difficult to judge levels of adhesion as opposed to passive dampers. Specifically, a passive damping system is NOT constantly adjusting bounce and rebound to accommodate what it is thinks the driver wants. Some guys want to be able to adjust - or have the car automatically adjust - these settings mid-lap. I'm not one of those guys.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned and maybe semi-active (or active) damping systems have come a long way since the 997 PASM systems, but I'm not a fan.
I would say they have, quite a bit so in fact. The 991 suspension calibration with PASM was amazing.