View Single Post
      03-21-2014, 12:19 AM   #35
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Perhaps some details were lost in translation or perhaps due to a non-native English speaker, but I found the article to be an awful lot of typical BMW ///Marketing gum flapping without too much content. What does one expect this fellow to say, that the steering sucks compared to hydraulic or perhaps that they did not meet their internal goals? Of course he also left out cost reduction as a big driver in the choice to go electric. Next I will point out that the system is provided and manufactured by ZF, not by BMW. As with most supplier sourced parts some engineering is done by both OEM and supplier. It clearly sounds from the interview that BMW did most of the design/engineering. BMW is taking a bit too much credit in this and for the positive traits of the system. They asked ZF for something and ZF delivered according to their specification. It's also interesting to note more and more software going into the steering. Hopefully there won't be many or any significant updates to fix small bugs... Last but not least, I strongly suspect that there will be a very positive reception and reviews for the steering in the cars. Porsche are using a very similar system even in the GT3 and it has gotten very good reviews.

Oh the travesty, PDK only and EPS in the GT3. The skies really must be falling.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0