04-21-2015, 11:56 AM   #61
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPowerJ View Post
Why don't you just replace the rotor with a steel rotor and use the same caliper? There might not be a BMW option for this yet but I'm sure it's coming. Porsche guys have been doing this for years.
its a gamble. i did this myself as my ceramics were nearing the end of their usable life. I measured with digital calipers before and after every track weekend. btw they only lasted 10k miles with i would say not even 3k of it actually on track.

so i switched to PFC rotors and my first outing on the track I had the fastest lap time i ever had on the ring. going back to steels with proper endurance pads RS-29's was very confidence inspiring. however some people claimed that because the brake boost is lower on pccb when switching to steels you have abs become more sensitive. i thought I was getting into ABS more as well after the swap back to steel rotors. anyways it did not affect me but some swear it was very unsettling for them.

me personally I would not order another car with ceramics. too many limitations. no measurable benefit. just bling. this was all argued when i was considering ceramics and i still went for them. so to each their own. they certainly look good and on regular street driving the make less dust and will outlast steel rotors.

track is too much a compromise if you are serious. YMMV