Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
Noob here, If I track my car about 3x a year should I be doing this? does the Service department bleed the brakes at any time?
there's not really an easy or single right answer for questions like that. many people will say to keep the car as stock as possible your first track event or couple to get a feel for the car in its stock configuration. however, most HPDE tech inspection sheets require the fluid to be 6months old or newer so yes, you'll need to do that much. i've heard some guys just use stock brake fluid just fine but a vast majority will put in a higher performance brake fluid (such as a DOT4 fluid by ATE or Castrol).

you can try the stock pads and see how they do but i would expect some fade if you're pushing it much, running longer sessions, running MDM traction control (it applies brakes to help you, i believe), or if your braking techniques need work (longer braking zones usually keep the pads hotter, if you brake much harder but over a shorter period of time they shouldn't fade as fast from my experiences). you can always shorten your sessions a little by pitting in early or just practice brake maintenance to stay out there longer (e.g.: don't go as fast on the straight sections of the track so you don't need to brake as hard for the next turn and give them a chance to cool off a bit).

good luck with your decision, i hope this helps!
Thanks for the advice, good to know. The steel brakes have been great so far, I have yet to experience brake fade after 2 long track days. Even some of the much more capable drivers I was on the track with pushed their F8X to its limits without getting brake fade. Only thing is that they tend to squeal but I was told that that happens because they are cold