11-29-2013, 06:19 PM   #160
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I thought we were discussing curb weight here, which, IIRC, does not include driver but does include all fluids (full tank of gas).

My 3688lb is just that.

Maybe my car is a fat pig

We seem to be similarly equipped. Option codes would not help since standard, options and packages differ significantly between the US and Canada.
My understanding of curb weight as per EU directive it does include driver. From wikipedia,

"many European Union manufacturers include the weight of a 75 kilogram driver to follow European Directive 95/48/EC."

By 75 kg I think they mean 68 kg driver + 7 kg cargo.

In the US BMW reports unladen weight (not sure if universally but for the still in production E93 they do).

Seems this classic reference on weight is incorrect: link. From that page:
  • Curb Weight = Weight of Car with standard accessories, full fluids, no driver
  • EU Weight = Weight of Car with 90% fuel, 68 kg driver, 7 kg cargo
  • Unladen Weight = Appears to be Curb Weight less 8 kg (can't find definition)

Also from (I think the same fellow on m5board): link.

Other "standards" perhaps are EU DIN Unladen, EU Kerbweight and perhaps even US curb weight. Ugh. I thought I has these distinctions pretty well down pat.

I think Boss330 did tons of research on this and maybe already knows these subtleties. How about a complete write up Boss330? With references (I think I saw you already did most of this). Maybe a sticky?

I guess the problem of comparing EU vs. US numbers might be the issue of "common options". A couple of examples from BMW would be useful in any write up.

Also to close the loop my specific options are: M-DCT, 2MT, 322, 492, 494, 4NA, 563, Z01.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0