View Single Post
      09-11-2020, 03:56 PM   #9
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Have you ever driven a Taco manual trans?

If you ever notice, the people who rave about Tacos do so because they are unbeatable, ultra-reliable, super utilitarian. Legendary. 300k miles and never had it's oil changed. Barrel rolled down a 1500' cliff and then drove home. Yada yada.

No one ever raves about the Taco because they hopped in it and went for a drive and it is just so much fun to drive. No one. Ever. (I didn't actually fact check that statement)

I test drove a manual trans Taco after reading how wonderful they are....wow, what a let down. Anemic acceleration with a strong v6 engine. So smooth there's nothing fun. Boggy suspension for off-roading purposes translate to shitty steering and even mild cornering.

I wound up buying a 2019 wrangler instead. Ironically it also has weak acceleration and steering and suspension but SOMEHOW makes it more fun to drive. Kinda. Hard to explain, but at least more enjoyable than the Taco.

You want a fun rip roaring safari car? Do a WRX build or similar if you are on a budget. Hell, get a cheap 2018 Subaru Outback and throw some rally wheels and tires on it - they are pretty close to unstoppable. Want a bad-ass rally car with some family car chops? Get a 2005-2009 Subaru Outback XT with a manual transmission and build it up a bit....300-400whp is readily accessible from that engine.

I could keep going.

Buy a taco if you plan to keep it forever and want utility and solidity and nothing ever, ever needing your attention.