12-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #100
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy335 View Post
Completely agree with you. Same boat here, owned M3's, not invested in FI vs NA, owned many types of both, enjoyed most of them.

What astounds me most is how many people on this forum have written off the new M3's engine without even driving it or seeing any impartial reviews, and in spite of great data and some fantastic new parts. Amazingly 'head buried in sand' approach.

Or as sedan_clan also said: a bit of romanticization
I also wonder if those same folks have driven the new M5/M6s. I spent a couple days at the performance M school driving all all the M cars hard around the track. I may be in the minority but I preferred the turbo V8s easily. I know it's blasphemy, but I also preferred the exhaust note of the M5/M6s. Inside the cabin you're a bit isolated but that's the general nature of the luxury cars themselves. But standing outside the cars or inside mine with the windows down while another M5 went WOT was a beautiful sound.

The M3 was actually my favorite car, but that's only due to it's smaller size and has nothing to do with the engine or lackluster interior. It felt more tossable around the track, even if my actual times didn't back that up.

If the F80 has kept the same overall feel of the E90 or improved along with an engine with similar characteristics of the M5, I think we have a winner. I left my first day after driving the M5 then the M3 back to back saying, "boy if they could put the M5 engine in the M3, THAT would be the car I'd want".
Appreciate 0