View Single Post
      12-26-2013, 07:10 PM   #244
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberm3 View Post
I really wasn't pointing out facts as much as sharing an opinion and accept that people will not agree. Agreed on the weight savings being a step in the right direction. The s55 is clearly evolutionary, from the N54. New turbos, closed deck casting, sturdier crank sharing (unless im mistaken), the same displacement specs - sounds warmed over to me. Certainly calling it an "all new M motor" would be a stretch. The "exhaust flap creating unique M sound" is on the list.

FWIW, the current F30 335i lost the same .5 sec as the 2015 M3 so the gap has likely remained the same. Yes, I'm making a broad generalization, and no I'm not going to go dig up and compare every stat - I'm sure someone will do it for me and prove me wrong. What you call "Upmarket interior" I call tacky (certainly the seats are).

While I'll reserve final judgement until I see it in person and drive one, the irony in all this is that the gap I'm talking about is not measured in absolute stats alone. The fact that I have to say that means this car was built for enthusiasts like you and not me. We are all after all enthusiasts - the beauty of opinions is that we can all have one.
actually, what you said that i disagree with is that this gen is closer to the 335 than the prior gen in performance. thats just simply not true, and that is not an opinion, it is a fact. your preference for one gen of m3 over the other is an opinion, and to that, each their own.

the e90 and f30 335 have basically identical performance numbers. the f80 m3 is over .5 seconds faster than the e9x to 60, and the difference is even greater in in-gear acceleration numbers due to the fatter powerband. the car is also lighter and has more advanced handling tech, including a rear subframe that is directly attached to the car.

so, if the 335 performance didnt change, but the new m3 is a lot quicker.....how is the gap smaller now than it used to be? that is what does not compute for me.

also, the "exhaust flap" is a valved exhaust system, seen in many performance cars such as a z06 corvette. its also a common mod for people to do to the m3. search "innotech" exhaust to see examples of this.

i love my e92, but the f80 will be faster and the gap between it and the 335 and the prior gen m3 will be large. that is not up for debate.

as far as the engine goes, your definition of warmed over and mine are not the same. other than being a 3L turbo, nothing else is similar between the n55 and s55.

as far as the seats, to each their own. integrated one piece headrest sport seats are seen in actual sports cars, see the 911 for example. i for one am glad we finally have them available. the glowing M in the seats? yea its lame but who cares? thats far down the list of things to complain about IMO

i track and DD my car, so having more efficiency, more power under the curve, more tech, lighter weight, much more performance and better brakes is nothing but a good thing.

Last edited by Black Gold; 12-26-2013 at 07:15 PM..
Appreciate 0