CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
Oh no, not talking about "stretched" tires at all here; only tire/wheel combinations within the official TRA window on rim width. In rapid transient conditions and/or rough pavement where sidewall spring rate increases may yield slightly less max Cf, perhaps there is a tiny reduction in maximum Cf available momentarily. However, from all data I've seen over the years, there is not a drop off in max Cf with a wider rim (within the TRA width specification for that tire size) in steady state conditions; in most cases it is the opposite...especially if you're comparing a tire mounted to the min TRA width spec versus on the other end (i.e. a 275/35-18 on a 9" rim versus a 10.5" rim; note max TRA spec in this case is 11").
When I said "stretched", I implied with the approved range. My point still holds, if there were only performance advantages to going to the maximum allowed wheel width for a given tire, all sport/super/hyper cars would be going that route, and it is not the case.

A tire that is more stretched over a wider wheel will be more likely to "skip" over minute bumps on the road surface and lose grip in the process.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0