View Single Post
      02-26-2021, 11:44 AM   #73
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
I don't get it either - what sucks is that the price is many thousands above what they are selling comparable cars for, so even a slight discount would make us feel... less taken advantage of - for wanting to keep our car. Not to mention they'd still make more than it being on the lot. It seems to be part of a bigger trend as they have forbidden dealers to make a deal now too which seems borderline illegal (price fixing?).

If they wanted us (and many others) to get another lease they should have not beat the new designs with the ugly stick, and then also remove the manual on top of that. Sometimes it feels like they have forgotten their original audience. We were able to swing a new 340, but not a new M (and leasing an M2 is still stupid expensive).

The brand focus has shifted more toward people like my friend who complains about the lack of manuals, but then gladly leased multiple F30s with the auto, and now an X3M, only to complain about the ride and other things I said wouldn't suit him beforehand.
I think a couple of things are at play
1. By allowing people to buy out their leased cars, below contract value, it devalues the lease - ultimately it means BMW messed up on their guess for the residual. And then that starts to build - and it becomes knowledge that you can lease a car and then buy it out even cheaper at the end than the contracted value and then residuals fall and... well BMW starts to lose money on leases.

2. Per my dealer, a few years ago, BMW decided they had had enough of this mess and stopped playing games. The multiple MSD, the low money factors, the aggressive pricing (even allowing dealers to show the car with a discount on their website) was going to start ending. Once again, if they stop it completely either they make more money or people go elsewhere. I think they have made more money. And wow, it sure does cost a lot more to lease a car nowadays.... and ... off the record... someone getting a M3cs dirt cheap vs. someone paying full price... I wonder who takes better care of the car? Just an interesting thought.

3. You are correct, nobody should ever lease a M2. It makes no financial sense - even if you own a business (God, I hate that comment, it just shows that people don't understand how the write-offs work - and the concept to pay signifiantly more "just in case I get into an accident and the car ends up with a CarFax" is just sillyl - but I digress) - what is interesting is why the residual on the M2 is so low. That car holds its value VERY well - maybe the best of all BMWs right now and it has a terrible residual. Interesting stuff.
Appreciate 0