View Single Post
      08-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #18
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

I'm not really sure why BMW would switch over to a V6, what are the advantages other than what I understand to be easier turbo plumbing on the exhaust manifolds? Seems like most companies go with a V6 either for space considerations (i.e. transverse mounts) or platform flexibility. BMW has always been a RWD first company, therefore, they can package the engine far behind the front axle with the idea that they will never directly drive the front axle. There's also the added benefit of more optimal F/R weight balance. The I6 is inherently balanced (which I naively assume would allow it to rev higher with all else being equal), and doesn't require fancy dual exhausts to get a proper note. Plus, I thought BMW was going to leverage at least the block from the N55...doesn't seem to make much sense to retool a plant to build a completely different engine.

If you take the Audi B8 MLB platform (not trying to be a fanboy, it's just a platform I understand), there is always the notion that the next gen passat or other VW car will use the platform in an east/west engine layout. The F30 chassis will never be used for a FWD car.
Appreciate 0