CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BhamDavid View Post
You can speculate all you want that the weight savings is relatively insignificant but until somebody tests the car with and without the CCB option, you don't know crap about the difference.
With a good understanding of physics and vehicle dynamics combined with the un-official info provided by BMW personnel in various interviews, one can make reasonable assessment on the impact of the CCB weight reduction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhamDavid View Post
But the weight the CCB option saves is unspung weight. A few pounds savings here is a pretty big deal on the suspension system's ability to perform optimally. Plus this weight decrease is at the ends of the vehicle which decreases the polar moment of inertia. An increased polar moment of inertia causes the car to resist turning.
I agree that the reduction of unsprung weight from the CCB is beneficial, it is IMO the greatest benefit of CCB in terms of dynamic performance. It is about 3.6lb per corner, not huge, but there nonetheless. However, since I track my car, the CCB would force me to go to a bigger and heavier 19" track wheel setup that would most likely entirely offset the unsprung weight benefit of the CCB.

As far as the overall polar moment inertia of the car, I seriously doubt that 3.6lb per corner can be felt.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 04-18-2014 at 10:40 AM..
Appreciate 0