Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post
The i8 in my eyes is a hybrid not an all electric car. It's a sporty prius as opposed to a sporty Tesla (i actually mean this as a compliment). I think that's one of the most misunderstood things about the i8. You can put gas in it. You can't put gas in a Tesla.
Oh, it is technically a hybrid for sure (hence the 1.5L inline 3 I have mentioned a few times) but my point is that this is the first really successful application of any electric technology in a mass produced, profitable sports car. Previous hybrids in 'sporty' cars were awful wastes of money. Either the electric power was so limited as to be useless (think every Lexus hybrid, probably the previous BMW hybrids too, etc) or the petrol was so we as to be useless (again, Prius, etc).

This one actually does drive and compete with sports cars, yet has major power delivered from the electric motor.

The Tesla isn't made as a sports car any more than a 5 series or E class is (it isn't). It is 'sporty' but that isn't its main role. The tech is not yet there to make a true all electric sports car, but.....that day will come, probably once they figure out a way to make the batteries weigh much, much, much less. In the near-mid term the future will see electric/combustion sports car combinations like the i8. And to get back to @m4tw's point, I think the next gen M3 could well be on that path, perhaps with an inline 4.

Quote:
Electric cars problems exist less with demand / desire from consumers and more from limitations due to lack of infrastructure to support it which hybrids (i8 or prius) do not have
Agreed.

Three things will happen: the infrastructure will grow, people will get better at the tech to make more electric power more available and useful in a true sports car (ie: light!) but at the same time this whole 'performance hybrid' market the i8 and, at a higher level, P1, LaF, 918, etc have created will also grow.

Who wins? Dunno. But one way or the other, the performance cars of the mid-long term future will not rely on V8s or V10s or V12s. At least not alone. Electric power will become an integral part of the performance cars of the future, be they M3, C63 or whatever.

Edit: After 'dumping' on the Lexus hybrid minutes ago, by chance I came across what is the single greatest story of a Lexus hybrid and a car reviewer of all time.

http://jalopnik.com/i-shat-myself-in...car-1658777421

Honestly. I am crying with laughter in my office as I read this. My colleagues think I am crazy (even more so than normal).

Last edited by myzmak; 12-10-2014 at 05:52 PM.. Reason: to add the story about the reviewer shitting himself in a lexus
Appreciate 1