View Single Post
      10-08-2020, 09:28 AM   #60
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_M3 View Post
Thanks! I love track driving when I can do it but haven't been in one in a 991. I'm not a P car apologist, I think both brands are amazing; but this latest iteration of the M3/M4 is certainly not what I had in mind for a streetable "track car". More power is not the solution; it hides the fundamental flaws of this vehicle. Imagine if they had the car at the same weight as the F8x. We'd be all excited for the performance figures. The new M3/M4 seems to be blingy and less focused on the heritage of what M3/4 cars were before.

I appreciate the input, coming from someone who has had significant seat time. You're right, everyone seems to cling to some story of someone else driving their car at xxx time to justify and stroke their ego. Kubica's M4 time (with a gutted interior) on the ring is one example. His time (7:24?) if I recall, is faster than any of the published times in the mags for a stock M4(even a M4 GTS). He proves that the driver can make a significant difference with cars at this level so all this internet bragging about mag times seems silly.

I do remember the older rear engine P cars being nervous at the limit and had heard that the 991 gen had attempted to address it with new PASM technologies. That said, I cling to my prior position that my F8x isn't going anywhere anytime soon and will likely be a long term keeper. Very few cars out there that are 4 doors and have the oodles of performance this car has. The new car decision is many moons away.
To be clear I was not calling you a P car apologist, sorry if it came off like that.

The G8X's biggest problem for me is simply the weight, 350lb is a huge problem and really hard to overcome.

The Kubica video is awesome, what a skilled driver! There is nothing like watching a pro drive a similar car to what you drive, it is humbling. I'll never forget watching the time deltas between Pobst and my brother and I when driving with him in AER, just incredible.

The 991 cars are fast and the 991 GT3s have serious straightlight speed capabilities. A massive step change from the 997. Their electronic controls have also gotten better and allow people to keep them on while still going decently fast.
Appreciate 2
CT_M31478.00
FormulaMMM3662.50