View Single Post
      12-06-2018, 04:59 PM   #1
msmching
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mini White Driving Machine

Is BMW Burble actually good or bad?

I am going to say I am new to this and I have been trying to learn more about our cars. Going to need some of your expertise!

I got this from a website:
Exhaust Burble on Deceleration

An exhaust burble, or throaty popping noise which could be likened to a babbling brook, is has a different cause if it only occurs when suddenly backing off on a vehicle's throttle. Essentially, the sudden easing off the throttle causes an immediate decrease in exhaust emissions to the degree that atmospheric pressure surrounding the exhaust pipe pushes cool air up into the exhaust system. This air collides with the warm exhaust gasses and creates a rumbling not unlike thunder. Normally this will only happen if the tailpipe has too wide a diameter to maintain equalized air pressure, or there is a seam in the exhaust pipes which is not air tight.

Is that why, (If i m not mistaken), people with modified crazy burbles are more likely to "break" something in the car IF they are on all stock components?

Using BM3 as example,
There are people who's saying it's okay to go with Stage 2 on all stock parts, and the other half says No, its not recommended. (PTF mentioned it's okay if its not driven hard/on tracks)

Can i safely assume that a person running Stage 2 on all stock parts and with Burbles turned off, will be better? Or basically any stage, just tune the car with Burbles off, will be better for the car overall?

Don't tell me its BMW, just push it. lol.
Appreciate 0