View Single Post
      02-19-2020, 03:47 PM   #1
gx5_027
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Help me choose: M4 vs M4 Comp. pack (ZCP)?

Help me choose: M4 vs M4 Comp. pack (ZCP)?

M4 DCT; OR M4 DCT Comp. Pack? Both, fully loaded.

Current General Prices:
2015/2016 M4 ~$50k CAD
2017/2018 M4 comp pack ~$60k CAD
I thought the comp. pack only came out in 2018, but I see some are advertised as 2017 comp packs in Canada.

Caveats:
• This will be my daily;
• I want to take it to the track once-in-a-while. It is an M, after-all;
• I will apply at least a Stage 1 tune to increase power;
• I will buy a different exhaust (equal length)

I DO want to be smart (that's a relative term) financially!

Please confirm/dispel some info:
My understanding is that the comp. pack is mainly different from the m4 in handling, as it has:
• Revised Active M suspension w/ new springs and dampers
• Revised antiroll bars (*true?)
• a newer active m electronic differential.

• better power delivery/ power band/torque curve? More linear? (*true?)

• a bit more hp - +19hp - 444hp (accomplished by a slight change to the cylinder head, according to a video - *true? - I thought it was just a tune)

• Black sport exhaust

• "Redline indicator" - to indicate how high one can rev while engine is coming to temp - not a biggie as I always bring my cars to temp

• Plus, various cosmetic changes, inside and out - love those LCI LED headlights and taillights in the 2018 iterations!
——————————————————————————————————————

Assuming I don't care for the cosmetic changes, including the seats, 20" wheels, or the sport exhaust...

And, given the above-mentioned caveats, and the price difference is ~10k – what is the better decision?

Also, IF the suspension and linear torque curve is that much better...(those are my main areas of focus)
• Is there a cost effective way to equal the comp packs revised suspension and dampers?
o I would like a car with adaptive suspension – not coilovers – and adaptive aftermarket coilovers are way too expensive.
• And how much better is the newer differential?

• Is there a tune (MHD/BM3) that addresses the torque dump that the first iterations of the m4's are known for? And, am I mistaken that this was addressed in the comp. pack?

Can I make a 2015 m4 meet/exceed the above revisions in the comp. pack, while not venturing into "should've just got the comp pack" territory?

Sources:

Last edited by gx5_027; 02-19-2020 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: colours
Appreciate 0