10-10-2019, 09:58 AM   #21
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
I run DSC OFF and I'm pre-abs before corners. It's how I was taught originally by my NASA instructor.

I'm not a pro by any means so the question of whether or not I can improve my technique to reduce brake heat is an easy answer: absolutely.

The issue here is that I track with my buddies and we all analyze each other's braking/corner speeds/line. It's a C7 Grandsport, (2) 1LE Camaros with ZL1 brakes and a Shelby GT350 with a track pack. I'm the only one struggling with my brakes and I'm braking earlier and earlier throughout the day because I lose consistency. I'm also going a lot faster in the front and back straight than they are.

Take a look at my most recent Glen lap:

See how early I'm braking? This is day 2, last session. If I brake any later I don't know if the car will even stop before the run off.

I definitely need to improve my technique and I'm working on it but these brakes are sub-par. At the very least, the lack of brake cooling is a major issue that is well known on the F80.

I'm open to criticism, definitely not sensitive here.
Are you using all of the right side curb on entry into the chicane? It's hard to tell from the video, but you should be off the brakes, turning in early, and all over the first curb (i think you over broke by 5mph?).

It looks like your Vmax is nice and high. Obviously if your Vmax is higher than those cars (they already have better braking systems) you're gonna have to brake earlier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
Bust my balls as much as you want! I don't mind.

I need to brake 100% all the time.

My goal is to end up racing pro some day. Only started back in April.
When you say 100% brake, you mean you're putting all your force on the pedal or just threshold braking?

Racing is on my bucket list too, will probably do the BMWCCA race school this Winter/Spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman444 View Post
That's my mistake. I left the car in MDM when I gave it to him . He wasn't familiar with the car or any of the modes. Although I generally like to drive the car in MDM. Not sure how big of difference this makes but I have the GTS MDM coded in.

You're right, I think I just need to take it slow and just practice driving the car with all the nannies off. It'll be nice to see what the car does when its at its "limit". I drove my last event in MDM and I absolutely loved how controllable the car was. The car would kick out a little bit once in a while but it was really easy to reel it back in and it never felt scary (again, not sure how much of this was MDM saving my butt lol)
GTS MDM is NG. If you can you should get your car updated to the latest I-Step by the dealer. It allows more yaw than the base* or GTS setup (unless you're car is 2018 or newer) and wheel spin. It ain't the long term answer but it's much better for building up your confidence.

ZCP - Daily Driven Trackster ~ Gone but not Forgotten
1LE - Track Rubber & Garage Dust Collector
Appreciate 0