View Single Post
      12-20-2013, 02:35 AM   #114
Savory
Kaskasero
Rep
Drives: You Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Earl View Post
But they are doing this for cost cutting as the primary reason. The old car had 20% of its parts common with a standard series, the new one has more than 50%. What does that tell you? The old one's engine was designed by ///M and was never built in the standard production line. It was built where all other racing engines were built. The new is being built right next to the N55. Again, what does that tell you. There is "cost cutting" stamped all over the place in BMW's new agenda.

Lighter my *** now, the car isn't doing 0-60 in 3.9s because it's 80kg lighter, it's doing that because of the 18 psi twin turbo 425hp/405 lb/ft engine. Its better handling can also be attributed to better software programming of EDC and wider tires.

You take the same tires and same software tuning and put it in the old car. In fact, take everything that doesn't require actual hardware modification (like transmission or chasis, etc) and apply it to the old car, I guarantee you the difference is going to close fairly quickly. A lot of the improvements in the new car can easily be applied to the old car. You can get brembo brakes, you can get 275 tires, you can tune your EDC, you can tune your differential (at the software level).

I am really not buying this weight advantage propaganda. I drove a convertible M3 and my car back to back, they are 450 lbs apart, now that I could tell easily. I highly doubt I can tell 176 lbs. Let's put it this way, when I have my wife in the passenger seat, I don't see any difference AT ALL with my car's performance.

The below analogy to me resembles this upgrade :

E46 -> E9X M3 : iphone 3 -> iphone 5.
E9X -> F80 M3/4 : iphone 5 -> iphone 5s.
Please provide factual support/real life driving impressions of M4 to back up the bolded statements. Sarcasm aside, there is too much hatred going on principal, or what the car ought to be. We have NO idea how the damn thing drives, what its skidpad numbers are or how it feels. So anything you say is rendered meaningless at this point in time. The only "agenda" going on is your anti F8x propaganda that is based on unsubstantiated vilification of the car. I've come to terms with the fact that the new M4 doesn't strictly follow M tradition, but tradition is the illusion of permanence. Who says different will be worse? But I forgot, my opinion doesn't count because I don't own an E90 M3.
2001 E39 M5
Appreciate 0