03-21-2014, 10:57 PM   #67
Kadema
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 123d

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Except in the plethora of cases, cars and otherwise where it doesn't... Often the technology, specification topping, safety, quality or simply the no expense spared approach wins over cost.
In any rational business/engineering decision, I don't think any of these reasons ever 'wins' over cost, as if only it is taken for important enough, cost doesn't matter anymore. Of course it's all about cost-benefit-ratio.

In this specific case, I agree, it remains to be seen if cost has viciously been overrated again.

I don't trust car magazines though, at least german ones. Articles almost always seem to be manipulated and tendentious, and only then sometimes in favor for BMW, if a certain huge manufacturer group doesn't participate in the same test. Also, concerning steering, my own experience often (in about 3/4 of all cases) differs largely from what is written in an article. But admittedly, I think I could be called a fan-boy, although I don't like the expression. Up to a certain point, I would still buy BMW products, even I by myself would rate them as (slightly) technical inferior to those of the competition. I'd justify this as some kind of long-term investment, I suppose.

Last edited by Kadema; 03-22-2014 at 08:46 AM..
Appreciate 0