View Single Post
      03-22-2014, 06:44 AM   #68
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Except in the plethora of cases, cars and otherwise where it doesn't... Often the technology, specification topping, safety, quality or simply the no expense spared approach wins over cost.
Which is why being the consumer is so great. We get to decide what offers us the best value and spend our money there. If someone can get more value for their ~$70k by purchasing other products elsewhere, then they should not hesitate to do so.

And not that it should need to be said, but no manufacturer is throwing around money carelessly and wastefully. At least none that wants to stay in business. If you can compete with a solution costing you $X, then, no, you don't spend $X+ just for the novelty of it. If a company is willing to spend more on a product it is only because the business case tells them that they will profit more for doing so. Porsche is a shining example of this profit maximization at work. Complete with EPS in cars costing up to and over $200k. Spare no expense indeed - consumer expense.

Since we are speculating about costs, though, I'll add this speculation. For me, I strongly doubt any other manufacturer has paid as much attention to the steering as BMW M has in this price range. I'm not saying BMW will have the best steering or the best car, even. But it won't be for lack of effort in my opinion.
Appreciate 0