09-27-2019, 02:36 PM   #5
CrossyN
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
BMW OEM system is the iDrive, not CarPlay. If you want CarPlay in the iDrive menu then select CarPlay once and it will be in the menu to select. This is the OEM design as no manufacturer will prioritize an aftermarket system over their own OEM system in the main display.
I didn't suggest or even hint that they prioritise Carplay over their native iDrive. What I said was that after you pay for a Carplay subscription through BMW Connected services, physically pair your phone to the car, enable everything that can be enabled, Carplay should not be completely invisible with zero trace of any guides on how to find it. You shouldn't then have to Google it (which is almost impossible due to the vague search criteria), or in my case by chance speak to someone who had already been through this stupid dance, then dive 3 menus deep into the iDrive system to turn on what should have turned on when you subscribed to it. That is objectively bad UX design.

Regarding it only filling up half the iDrive panel, that's not the end of the world but there are other cars with similar sized displays that use all the screen real estate with Carplay. I can forget about that but the workflow just to turn on Carplay is outright amateurish software design.
Appreciate 0