Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
After going through a similar event (minimal rear damage and a $1800 repair), I would have gone with cash as long as you had buyer admitting and agreeing to pay on a smartphone video.

I went for his insurance and now the Carfax shows a rear collision and the car which is perfect is worth about $5000 less with the carfax ding.
I understand the concern with the accident diminishing the value of the car, but unfortunately that's just part of vehicle ownership. I personnaly would let a potential buyer know that the vehicle had been in a minor accident (if I were to sell the car) and provide them with the relevant paperwork from the repairs. It pays to be honest.

Also, you can file for a diminished value claim with the insurance company. Its hard to get them to pay what you think you should be paid, but none-the-less they will pay something in most cases. There are certain criteria that need to be met, but if you're worries about the vehicle being worth less, a DMC can help offset the hit you take when you sell the vehicle.
Aware of all this.

The issue is that the Carfax ding will keep potential owners from even getting as far as to explain how minor it was.

A BMW Dealer had literally been begging me to buy my BMW. Now with the Carfax report, he won't even touch it unless on a trade in.
Appreciate 0