Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BSM M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by x.shell View Post

But just out of curiosity... you're saying that PPF has a stronger bond to the surface than 3M double sided tape? I'm never getting PPF then.
It's not a comparison of PPF VS DST for bonding. PPF is the intermediate layer which will not just peel free and yet, when someone wishes to remove it they can without damage to the paint and it will not leave the mess (aged debris nor adhesive) that DST will.

But to your point. PPF is not used the same as DST. What's the widest DST material you use? Who here has access to and uses solid sheets of DST? PPF is the perfect intermediate and protective layer because it's a solid sheet which is engineered to install, hold and be removed... but only removed by human hands. It's not going to "break free" beyond over stretched film lifting at an edge. The way it's being used in the video that is practically impossible.

In the end, I have the ability to use betalink and reverse it without damage. Short of gross negligence, this method is arguably more secure than the best DST installation. Betalink fills voids from less-than-perfect seating of parts better than DST. Betalink has a stronger bond per area of contact than DST. And now, someone can use Betalink without the drawback of it being practically impossible to reverse without damaging paint.

With all of that said, if someone is totally satisfied with DST...if it's not broke, don't fix it. If you don't want to explore this option, don't. So are we talking about how I prefer to not rely on DST and many of you do? Or are we debating if Betalink is more secure than DST or not? Personally, I am not debating if others find DST satisfactory. For one wishing to use Betalink, now you can without jacking your paint.
Go ahead and try this. Put a piece of scotch tape down on anything. Now put beta link and attach something to it. Try to rip it off. Oh that was easy wasn't it. This is basically what you did.
Appreciate 0