View Single Post
      01-20-2020, 10:08 AM   #76
OUGrad05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 and 2022 Acura MDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdskukm3 View Post
Your buddy probably hammers that pedal a lot since it's pretty easy to go fast in the the Model 3 Performance. I have the same car and my range stays consistent pretty much all the time. It's only when it gets really cold the range will start dropping.
Yes the BMW build quality is better. But the Model 3 quality is not that bad. I did have alignment and squeaking issues but that was all minor. I would not let that bother me or make me get rid of the car. The car is fantastic.
I have several friends with Tesla's. None of them get their stated range, but the others are more reasonable, kind of akin to EPA ratings IMO. For example, buddy has a model 3, it's not the performance, it's the standard dual motor long range car. In the summer he is consistently about 10% short of the stated range. In the winter it's 20-25%. 10% is pretty typical of driving habits in my experience. For example, guy that just traded his model3 performance for the S3 is under performing the EPA rating by 2mpg. This isn't surprising, he has a bit of a heavy foot at times.

Two friends used to have Model S's, one was a P90D, I know (but am not really friends with, more of acquaintance of) a couple folks with S's and X's as well the drivetrains in all cases are fun due to the instant torque.

You say the interior is "not that bad" but that's really a relative statement IMO. The interior is on par with Kia or something like a Malibu in my experience, when talking quality. Both the Camry and especially the current Accord are better (as are all the euro brands at the Tesla's price point).

If I had confidence in the build quality and longevity I would make the trade off of a subpar interior for the drivetrain in a Tesla (assuming they fixed their issue). I was cheering on the sidelines for Tesla through the announcement of the model 3. It was then that I got serious about researching the company since I was considering a deposit. Paid more attention when riding in and driving the cars, dug through their 10k's and 10Q's. I decided I would pass.

I don't blame you for buying a model3 performance though, it would make a fun daily driver the powertrain is intoxicating.