View Single Post
      12-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #235
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: FDB M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
Like I said, I can see 18psi maybe with some E85 thrown in, but pump gas-that sounds a bit iffy.

But I am sure it has been done as you say. My other friend who went aggressive on his N54 fried his turbos lol. Luckily our mutual friend is a tech and used his CPO to replace them for free after taking the car back to stock before bringing it in. Replaced his trans for him under CPO too, about $18k all together done for $0. It is good to have the right friends
Not at all. Most FBO cars running 93 octane are hitting around 18 psi. I hit 18 - 18.5 regarless of if I'm running 93 octane or an E85 blend. I just can run a lot more timing with E85 blended in.

I have been pushing 18 psi + for the past 2 years and am still on the original turbos at 72k miles. Now, I don't beat the living $hit out of my car like a lot of people probably do but I don't baby it either.

I am very interested in this new M4 but my initial concern for tuners is the same as most. How close to maxed out are these turbos? Obviously running catless dp's and a less restrictive intake / exhaust is going to help but if it's anything like the N54, gains from intake and exhaust are VERY minimal.

I'm sure that BMW has put in a MUCH better intercooler as the stock FMIC on the N54 was trash.

EDIT: Keep in mind that this is PEAK boost and it tapers off to around 12 psi at redline. Running 18 psi to reddline is turbo suicide.

Last edited by JStang; 12-12-2013 at 10:40 AM..
Appreciate 0