12-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #240
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStang View Post
Not at all. Most FBO cars running 93 octane are hitting around 18 psi. I hit 18 - 18.5 regarless of if I'm running 93 octane or an E85 blend. I just can run a lot more timing with E85 blended in.

I have been pushing 18 psi + for the past 2 years and am still on the original turbos at 72k miles. Now, I don't beat the living $hit out of my car like a lot of people probably do but I don't baby it either.

I am very interested in this new M4 but my initial concern for tuners is the same as most. How close to maxed out are these turbos? Obviously running catless dp's and a less restrictive intake / exhaust is going to help but if it's anything like the N54, gains from intake and exhaust are VERY minimal.

I'm sure that BMW has put in a MUCH better intercooler as the stock FMIC on the N54 was trash.

EDIT: Keep in mind that this is PEAK boost and it tapers off to around 12 psi at redline. Running 18 psi to reddline is turbo suicide.

My thinking is, 2-3psi on the new M3 is about all you would net before your out of the turbos effective range, so MUCH smaller headroom than an N54 where you can more than double the stock PSI.

But I feel like 18psi on a stock turbos for the N54 is ragged edge/borrowed time. My friend who's turbos went, that was 85k miles.

Let's be honest, with the S55 it is all conjecture. But I think it is realistic there is room for more boost, just no where near the N54, but that is also a 280whp engine to start with-basically 18psi nets you where the S55 is starting out power wise.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0