2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by modkrazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatte View Post
This is bad bad bad.

DCT only. What the hell BMW The rest of the car seems properly sorted with somewhat decent weight savings.
I don't understand this obsession with race cars for grandpas. DCT is here to stay and will be the default transmission for any performance car going forward. This is a "Competition" version, why would it not have the faster transmission?
Huh? I didn't know race cars came with navigation and 20" wheels and plush leather.

Oh wait it's actually not a race car. It's limited edition GT car where the focus is supposed to be on driver enjoyment. I guess if numbers on paper increase our enjoyment then yes I totally get that.

But I would suspect less than 1% of us here on the boards laps a specific track often enough and well enough to actually see reduced lap times from a dct transmission versus more engaging manual transmission. You realize how absurd it is to want to get the fastest possible transmission over a more fun transmission when you aren't even a competitor?

If you were really interested in lap times the first thing you'd do is sell the ridiculous wheels and get 18" lightweights with r comps. That alone would make you much quicker than a transmission swap.

This CS is ridiculous and barely improves the formula to warrant what will be an enormous price tag. It will undoubtedly sell out but BMW clearly phoned it in on this one. It's just lazy at this point. But good for them it will market well and sell out.
I subscribe to the theory that paddle shifting benefits a novice more than an experienced track rat... But this discussion feels off topic so I'll move on.