Ya ya ya, I am Lorde, ya ya!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 2015 SQ5

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gee-m-w View Post
I'm having troubling placing in my head what an M5 and an M3 actually are in BMW world. In some ways I have trouble differentiating whether this car is an M335i or a true M3. I know BMW doesn't fit a car with anything more than 1 wheel drive unless it is an M car, which is why I bought an S4 for $48k instead of a 335i. That, and my S4 doesn't overheat on a road course or have fuel pump reliability issues.

My primary concern right now is that not Dinan (nor anyone else) has released a tune for the M5. Either the ECU is too hard to crack, or M has done all of the tuning work and there's nothing appreciable left. The 4.4 twin turbo V8 is in both the 550i and the M5. Dinan tuned up the 550i very nicely, matching or exceeding the M5 output.

I'm concerned that we're all going to be buying a factory tuned 335i for $70,000. I'm concerned that there may be no tuning potential left in this engine because it's going to be burning hotter than a foundry oven. I'm concerned that it isn't even appropriate to run 500 HP through a RWD car with 255 tires and hollow output shafts (for weight savings). And lastly I'm concerned that there is probably $30,000 of profit in this car (loaded) so I'm not really sure what I'm buying over a 328i with halogens and incandescent bulbs.

Someone talk me out of this line of thinking.
Please stick with your S4.

And good luck tuning the ECU without getting flagged with the "TDI1" code.
Appreciate 0