View Single Post
      03-26-2014, 01:18 PM   #7
MrCsquared
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley913 View Post
The Z/28 is a 3800+ lbs car. I would rather have 3700+ lbs M4 with 500+ hp that runs a tad slower compared to the Z/28 than a 3400+ lbs M4 that is way off Z/28’s pace.

I think this generation of M3/M4 has been hindered too much by government emission regulation and future mpg requirements. These new standards hurts prestige brand like BMW more than the common brand like GM. GM has existing “cheap” cars that is capable of 40+ mpg and they can expand their “cheap” car options in the future. This allows GM and other common people brand to develop these performance cars because they can still meet government regulations by offsetting it with “cheap” cars. On the other hand, BMW cannot make “cheap” car because it would tarnish the brand. I think that is why BMW is making electric cars in preparation for future regulations. But they can’t increase their electric car market too much at this point because it’s a risky business move. Therefore, BMW will increase mpg for all cars and put large hindrances due to government regulations when developing performance cars. This is just my personal theories and options.
I see what you're saying but the M4 will be a 3300+lbs car with 430 CLAIMED horsepower figures (we know how BMW has been conservative with their ratings). The M4 will surely be faster than the Z28 in a straight line, and the track portion is to be seen.

Not sure how you're saying the M4 is slower than the Z28 already, unless you know something we don't. Its quite possible the M4 may prove to be slower, however we just can't say that yet.
Appreciate 0