View Single Post
      05-05-2014, 10:40 AM   #19
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I guess Porsche, Nissan, Mitsubishi and Subaru have all not figured this magic out yet. All of which build turbo track cars and have many mounds more years in turbo gas motors than BMW. My #1 guess is that this was done for product differentiation and nothing else.
Yes, Nissan, Mitsu, and Subaru all are not as worried about turbo lag and are more focused on keeping cost down. They used TMIC air-to-air for the most part, though a few FMIC on Mitsu products are around too at the expense of...more lag.

Porsche does not have cost control issues nearly as much but do they have packaging issues in their application. They are already running max radiators at the front, use their side vents for air intake, and vent through intercooler through the rear decklid. Where are they going to stick ANOTHER radiator and more cooling hoses? And then the question becomes whether or not it would gain anything in their application.

My guess is BMW saw the primary benefit being lag reduction and cooling in this platform and decided to go for it.
Appreciate 0