Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsur View Post
How do you like it so far? Any regrets?
I don't have any regrets but I will tell you its made me realize how amazing the m3 was/is.

Things the 911 turbo has going for it:

1. I actually like the shifter MORE in a 12 year old 911....damn it's good. And I always praised the m3 shifter.

2. The traction, OMG the traction. I can hammer 505 lb/ft of torque in 1st or 2nd gear and it just hooks and GOES.

3. The m3 engine delivers superior everyday performance and is practically NA like in it's delivery, but the Porsche engine just revs nicer, revs faster, sounds better, feels better.....but it's definitely a more traditional turbo engine with an on-boost/off-boost feel at low and low-mid engine speeds.

4. The interior is extremely nice. Original MSRP of $134k in 2008, so it damn well better be.

5. The feeling of lightness in the steering from the front end is just surreal. And the steering really is just....engaging. Characterful.

6. The suspension is better in many ways than a much newer M3, which is not so much a credit to the 911 as it is a ding to the m3's suspension. The 911 has a much shorter wheelbase and is lower to the ground and yet it rides about the same as a much newer m3? C'mon BMW, step it up.

........but the overall package is not better or worse. It's just massively different experience wise. On a totally different front, to me the ergonomics and controls and drivers interface with the car and infotainment systems was spot on in the m3. The Porsche is going to take some time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsur View Post
How do you like it so far? Any regrets?
I don't have any regrets but I will tell you its made me realize how amazing the m3 was/is.

Things the 911 turbo has going for it:

1. I actually like the shifter MORE in a 12 year old 911....damn it's good. And I always praised the m3 shifter.

2. The traction, OMG the traction. I can hammer 505 lb/ft of torque in 1st or 2nd gear and it just hooks and GOES.

3. The m3 engine delivers superior everyday performance and is practically NA like in it's delivery, but the Porsche engine just revs nicer, revs faster, sounds better, feels better.....but it's definitely a more traditional turbo engine with an on-boost/off-boost feel at low and low-mid engine speeds.

4. The interior is extremely nice. Original MSRP of $134k in 2008, so it damn well better be.

5. The feeling of lightness in the steering from the front end is just surreal. And the steering really is just....engaging. Characterful.

6. The suspension is better in many ways than a much newer M3, which is not so much a credit to the 911 as it is a ding to the m3's suspension. The 911 has a much shorter wheelbase and is lower to the ground and yet it rides about the same as a much newer m3? C'mon BMW, step it up.

........but the overall package is not better or worse. It's just massively different experience wise. On a totally different front, to me the ergonomics and controls and drivers interface with the car and infotainment systems was spot on in the m3. The Porsche is going to take some time.
I'm going to be in the market for an E92, 997 turbo, or a GT4 within the next couple of years so this was helpful. I agree that having the engine behind you is a completely different feeling that you'll only get with Porsche and higher end automobile manufacturers. I've heard some say the E92 sounds better than the Turbo/GT4 and vice versa. I guess it's all subjective and depends on what exhaust setup you have. Although the Turbo is kind of muffled because of the twin turbos, I'd say it sounds good in a different way because with an aftermarket setup, you'll be able to hear them spool up and blow off. Honestly you have to experience P cars in person to understand how good they are. The first time I rode in a GT3 and the sound of the engine was amazing. YouTube compression unfortunately does not portray that same feeling. I was also looking at a F80 M3 but I'm not a fan of the sound it makes when it releases boost pressure. At that point I'd rather get a 997 turbo. As for ride comfort and interior quality, I will be coming from a older Mustang so it's not a big issue for me. I'm sure any of the cars I upgrade to will be superior in almost every way.
Appreciate 0