05-22-2013, 02:51 PM   #60
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX78703 View Post
The amount of torque you make after 5252 rpm is irrelevant. there's nothing gained by making a higher percentage of peak torque at redline.
...what? The horsepower you make at any RPM is a function of the torque you're making at that same RPM. More torque at redline means more horsepower at redline.

I see your point about what I said about 70% of torque at redline vs 80%, I wasn't clear on what my point was. I'm trying to say that the torque is dropping off rapidly compared to peak torque which makes for an N54/N55 style lazy motor that doesn't pull hard towards redline vs what we like to see in an M motor where the motor makes most of its power right at or near redline instead of making peak power at like 5,500RPM. This is the difference between a car that doesn't really feel that fast and a car that pushes you back in your seat in each gear as it pulls harder and harder.

The numbers S62 came up with on the first page look realistic to me (and yes, that would be a power curve similar to the M5/M6) but you can see what I'm talking about where the torque curve drops rapidly and the horsepower curve is a big plateau instead of a peak like the current M3. Ironically, this type of power curve will result in a faster car (with a huge area under the curve) but one which may feel less fast than a peakier power curve from behind the wheel.

Last edited by Remonster; 05-22-2013 at 02:59 PM..
Appreciate 0