CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
The E46 24,5 sec 0-1000m MT 6 time was from the Geneva BMW press info. How much faster is the E9x with MT 6 according to official spec?

Please let's keep this on a fact based level and no personal insults. I have posted times available from reliable sources, please post substantiated numbers not just your personal opinion on my beliefs
Sorry, I did not intend any insult. I do respect you a lot; you bring good insight to this forum .

It is just that this thread has derailed a bit trying to compare the E46 to the E92 when the starting point was to compare the S55 and the S65. By trying to prove a point, it was hinted that the E92 barely improved on the performance of the E46. Which is simply not the case. I could dig out plenty of track videos where I pass E46 like they are standing still. Further, I did post R&T best numbers for 6MT E46 and E92. But this is beside the point.

I see what you are trying to demonstrate though. It is the relative improvement in performance of the F8X over the E9X. The thing is, from the advertised power to weight, the F8X does not have that much going for it: +10hp and 132lb less for DCT cars (best performing option). Looking at it from this perspective only, one could conclude that the F8X does not provide an as great leap forward.

IMO, there are important counterpoints though. As I and others have stated many times in other threads, the F8X advantage resides in the fact that it is most likely underated by 30+ hp. Another important advantage is the broad power plateau, where the F8X will be putting down much more average power during an acceleration run compared to the E9X. Looking at BMW advertised acceleartion numbers, it is clear that they do expect a significant leap forward. Hopefully it isn't only marketing hype and the performance will be there.

I can't wait to see independent test results. I am personnaly convinced the F8X will be quite the performer .

For me, the most important uncertainty regarding the S55 is the throttle response. Since I do track my cars a fair bit, this has been one of my favorite characteristic of ///M engines. Hopefully, all the anti-lag tech will be working its magic. I can't wait to test drive one .

Last edited by CanAutM3; 12-22-2013 at 08:26 PM..
Appreciate 0