View Single Post
      05-03-2014, 03:03 PM   #137
Robertyu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 GT-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucheli View Post
I had the same idea and I went to test drive the Cayman S. Big disappointment coming from driving E92s for four years. I don't think that the M3E92 or F82 are in the same league. I found the Cayman underpowered and I would never buy one. If I were to jump to the other side I wouldn't go lower than a Carrera S. At $30,000 price difference I think that the M4/M3 have better value and lower cost of ownership.
That's odd, I had not quite the same experience. I test drove a 981 CS and it felt awesome, and not underpowered compared to my M3. I knew up top it was going to be stronger, but very close below 110 or so. My Vbox seemed to agree, on the same road after the Cayman was broken in after purchase. The M3 managed 4.6 0-60 and 1/4 mile in 12.89 @ 113. The Cayman managed 0-60 in 4.3, and the 1/4 mile in 12.66 @ 112. These are both DCT/PDK cars. Just driving around, the Cayman did not feel underpowered to me at all, in fact, it felt a bit more responsive down low. Although I tend to drive in manual mode, the PDKs programming in auto mode was light years ahead in always being in the right gear for me. Above 120 mph, the M3 would walk the cayman until it hits the speed limited at least.

The new M4 should run from a Cayman S or GTS, but we'll see how it goes before I come back. I would have a hard time moving on from this Porsche, I must say, it's become something special to be, beyond any other car I've owned.
Appreciate 0