View Single Post
      11-29-2013, 05:32 PM   #158
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: A car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basscadet View Post
BMW has gone on record to say that the F80 will weigh 80kg less than the E90. This is about 175 lbs. This is nice that they're shaving weight off the car, but with power staying relatively the same (15hp is not seat-of-the-pants noticeable) it really is down to the significant torque increase where we will notice the change. I don't think this will be the monumental improvement in performance we got with the E36->E46 or with the E39->E60.

This is why the tunability of this car is so important to me. If I can't extract significant gains out of this engine with a tune it's just going to be really hard for me to sign the dotted line at the dealership. For $70k+ I expect a car that is as fast as a Mustang GT or a base 911 and nearly as fast as a base Corvette, but with additional luxury and style. Otherwise, I will look for two cars(my DD beater + Corvette) to offer what I hope to find in a single one (M3).
I raced a 2012 Mustang 5.0 GT FBO and versus my E92 M3 FBO and the mustang pulled 2 cars on me. I then removed my front seat, rear seats and trunk mats (approx. 115lb total) and race again and pulled half a car on the Mustang consistently.

Do not underestimate the performance advantages of lightweight. At 175lbs lighter than E92 M3, +100-lbft of torque all across the powerband and at least +30-40whp over the E92 M3 (I would be surprised if the F80 dynos less than 380whp) the F80 will have a monumental performance improvement over the E92 M3.
Appreciate 0