View Single Post
      08-10-2019, 01:55 AM   #20
F82///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 M4

I've been watching my voltage trough radar detector since I've got the car. I know some will say it's not accurate way but it's been within 0.2V compared to Voltmeter or voltage read out from test screen in cluster.

Hopefully this won't look confusing, it's pretty much the same as explained above.

Example, hwy cruising with outside temp above 20C reads 12.8V - 13.00V most of the time. Occasionally jumps to 13.3V. and it happens after long periods without coasting or using brakes.

In winter time and temp around and bellow 0C voltage doesn't drop bellow 13.4 with engine running and it goes as high as 13.8V, not affected by full throttle which is the case in summer/hot weather when voltage drops even to 12.6V under hard acceleration.

Car off 13.2V after starting and holding brake pedal for few seconds brings it up to 13.6-13.8, without holding the brake it stays at 13.2V. This sounds like if you wanna charge up battery, there's no need for driving the car. Just hold the brake pedal for 5 seconds to activate charging and keep idling.

Majority of charging happens when brake pedal is used and vehicle is stationary. Highest voltage I've seen was coasting downhill without using accelerator nor brakes (engine braking) it goes up to 14.4V, short downhills usually 14.2V.

In the end charging maps for every car could be slightly different, depending mostly on the condition of the battery and outside temperature.
Appreciate 0